Sunday, April 11, 2010

Quiche - it's what's for dinner

Let's see if I can get this done. I am sorry for being such a slacker...I've actually cooked and photographed at least 4 of the last challenges, but being pregnant, a mom of a very active 2 year-old, and writing a dissertation somehow all conspired to prevent me from getting any of them uploaded. But today was a beautiful day here in Louisiana, and I wanted to share our meal inspired by this month's theme.
EGGS

Our wonderful neighbors got chicks last summer and Segde has been able to watch them grow into surprisingly beautiful animals. He enjoys getting the eggs (but does break a few on occasion) and we thoroughly enjoy eating FRESH home-grown eggs. No more store-bought for us!

Sedge collecting eggs with Aimee

I love this time of year because the Farmer's Market also starts to carry more items and I thought it would be wonderful to make a Quiche with all locally grown/produced ingredients. Except, I am a terrible baker so I have to use store-bought pie crusts (sorry purists).




The recipe I used was given to me by some friends, but it's modified here to fit our available ingredients:






3 eggs (use 4 if eggs are small)
1 cup fresh green cauliflower florets
6 oz local goat cheese, basil infused
1 1/2 cups milk
2 green onions (these guys are honkers - probably could have used just one)
1 pie crust
1/4tsp salt
1/4tsp pepper
1/8tsp nutmeg (few dashes)
Note: original recipe calls for broccoli and chevre




Preheat oven to 425 (F) and cook pie crust for ~8 minutes
(to firm up the bottom so it doesn't get too soggy). While that's happening, steam the broccoli/cauliflower briefly.

Whisk the eggs, milk, green onions, and spices together.

When the pie crust is just starting to brown, remove it from the oven. Turn the oven temperature down to 325 (F).


Sprinkle the steamed florets and broken chunks of cheese on the bottom. Add the egg mixture over that.
















Put in the 325 (F) oven for 35-45 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.




READY TO EAT!




Kiddo thinks it's ready to eat too.
He said "mmm smells good!"
(his new favorite saying in the evenings), and proceeded to eat it all up!

I've used this recipe before with store-bought items, and it is very versatile. The only issue I have is that I can NEVER prevent the bottom part of the crust from getting a bit moist. It still tastes good, though :)

We all loved it, and I don't know if it's the fresh ingredients or the beautiful weather, but this was one of the best quiches I've ever made!


Sedge was eggstatic (sorry, had to put that in).











3 comments:

  1. Mollie, this looks DELICIOUS! Well done! And yay for local produce and eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, really nice! I've been missing your pictures! They make me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome!! If you're interested in a richer quiche, you can sub creme fraiche for the milk.

    ReplyDelete