Saturday, July 23, 2011

Savory Zucchini Pie-- Local Food-- June/July 2011

Pie is one of my favorite things, in spite of my dad's efforts to convince us when we were small that "pie is bad for children". While the dessert-y pie is fantastic, I do enjoy the occasional savory pie. I came across this recipe when my ol' pal Molly Schaller (hi, Molly!) was bemoaning the excess zucchini that came with her CSA share a few years ago. One of my very favorite pastimes is perusing Tasty Kitchen, a fabulous community of home cooks who are willing to share their best recipes. There, I discovered this gem-- Savory Zucchini Pie. It looked delicious, so I forwarded to Molly, and then I decided to tackle it myself. Oh, am I glad I did... it quickly became one of our favorite summer dishes. I made this particular pie with lovely local zucchini and yellow squash, so it will serve as my "local food" entry for the month. Check it out.

  • 4 Tablespoons Butter
  • 4 cups Zucchini, Sliced And Halved If Large
  • 1 whole Onion, Sliced
  • 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Fresh Ground Pepper
  • 1 teaspoon Italian Seasonings
  • 2 cups Cheddar Cheese, Shredded And Divided
  • 2 whole Eggs Beaten
  • 8 ounces, weight Tube Crescent Rolls
  • 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
It's quite adaptable-- I've used a mix of yellow and green squash, and I have also played a bit with the seasoning, sometimes using fresh rosemary and thyme. It's good no matter what I decide to do to it. I usually reduce the amount of butter for sauteeing, but, hell-- you only live once. Toss half a stick in and, once it's melted, add chopped onions, garlic, and zucchini. Saute until tender, and then add seasoning, and saute a little longer.

As the veggies soften, go ahead and spray a pie plate and then press the crescent rolls into a vague pie sort of shape. Don't kill yourself making it look perfect-- if it's not, call it rustic and call it a day. Once you've accomplished this, brush some dijon mustard onto the crust. (If you can't find your brush and must resort to using a weird tiny spatula, that's cool-- in fact, I'd feel a lot better about myself if you'd do that.)



Beat the eggs in a separate bowl, add the cooked veggies, and stir 'em about. Beat in a cup of cheese, and then pour the mixture into the prepared pie plate.

Top this with the additional cheese, and stick the pie in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees. Pull it out, and serve immediately.


I brought this to serve to my family at my mom and dad's house, and here's the general verdict:



Everybody enjoyed it, except for the children, but that was no surprise-- it didn't have bacon, so Simon wouldn't eat it, and Natalie has always viewed it with suspicion. But! Grownups enjoyed it! Try it! It's delicious!

2 comments:

  1. I discovered the bliss in adding mustard to my cooking this year, but I have yet to try it in a pie. I think I might need to now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was yummy, and if you grow zukes you really need all the recipes possible to dispose of them.

    ReplyDelete