Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Spekulatius-Christmas Cookies-Nov./Dec. 2010





These cookies, called Spekulatius, are a traditional German Christmas Cookie.  Typically they have intricate designs and may be topped with slivered almonds.  As you can tell I have gone for the plain, less traditional cookie.  I feel like the tree and star ARE traditional for this time of year, and I believe fish is a common food item in parts Italy during Christmas.  I'm hopeful that the butterfly and manwithcowonhead will take off in years to come.  The recipe is simple:



18 oz Flour
7 oz Butter
2 Eggs
2 dr Almond Oil
1 ts Cinnamon
1/2ts Cloves,ground
1/2ts Cardamom ground
1 ts Vanilla
9 oz Sugar
2 ts Baking Powder
4 oz Ground Almonds

Chill for a little bit in the fridge.  Roll out to 1/4 inch and cut into desired shapes.  Bake on greased cookie sheet for 6-8 minutes.  For those who are wondering, I usually use parchment paper...but I wanted to make sure these cookies crisped up on the bottom and I thought the grease might help with that.

These cookies come out crispy and taste like a butter cookie that's been dipped in Chai.  Which is awesome and makes these Spekulatius...Spekulishous!

2 comments:

  1. They look lovely and delicious... and I know a little boy who would probably love the cow cookie! :) Well done, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tastes like a butter cookie dipped in chai? Holy deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete