Friday, December 31, 2010

Spritz – Dec 2010 Cookie Challenge - Sara



My knowledge of tradition is limited. I think it’s because I have a short attention span. Regardless, when I was looking through the ol’ Betty Crocker cookbook for inspiration, I read that Spritzes were the quintessential holiday cookie. I didn’t know what the heck a Spritz was. I was determined to find out!

Recipe:

1 cup butter

½ cup sugar

2 ¼ cup flour

½ tsp salt

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla (or almond)

Mix your dough. I had a cookie press on hand because I have a penchant for picking up culinary oddities when they’re on the clearance rack at TJ Maxx. I learned from my mother that my cookie press is called a “spritzer”. Clearly she was holding out on some cookie knowledge. We could have been eating these for years!



Spritz those cookies right onto a cookie sheet. Don’t grease it because they have to stick to the sheet to keep shape. Bake at 400 degrees for 6-9 minutes


Usually they have sprinkles etc on them. The sprinkle suggestion helped me realize I knew these cookies quite well. But, I really wanted a Milano and thought these might fit the bill. So, I melted some chocolate candy coating stuff and piped it onto a cookie.


So, there you have it, a spritzy milanoesque delight!


4 comments:

  1. These are adorable! They look like they'd be good with a cup of tea. Angela Landsbury would serve them to guests on 'Murder, She Wrote'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my I love spritz cookies! We always dyed the dough different colors and poured sprinkles on the top, but never did we think of smashing chocolate between two spritz cookies. Why not - it is a great idea. Thanks for the idea! I bet I could eat a dozen of those little spritzes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are beautiful! way to go!

    ReplyDelete