Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pecan Upside Down Apple Pie- Pie Challenge- Summer 2011

As many of you may there is a 4th of July Pie Contest here in Muncie.  The event is held at (fellow Cooking Challenger) Steph’s. Last year’s winner was (fellow Cooking Challenger) PK.  So, you can see why I was keen to tie in a Challenge with this event.  I also planned on winning.




Whippin' the cream.
I made an Upside Down Pecan Apple Pie and served it with some cinnamon whipped cream.  Here’s the details:

  • 1 cup chopped pecans

  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

  • 1/3 cup butter, melted

  • 1 pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

  • 6 cups Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced

  • 1/4 cup white sugar

  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

  • 1/8 teaspoon ground clove


Prepare you crust.  No store bought crust here.  I use a 3-2-1 (flour,fat,water by weight) recipe.  I used lard this time.  I was very happy with the results.  As always, chill the fat and everything else before cutting it into the flour.  I also used the KitchenAid stand mixer (no surprise there).  It really does make homemade pie crust a snap.














Mix the butter, brown sugar and pecans together.  Cook briefly.   










Pour into the bottom of a well greased 9” pie pan.  I also lined the bottom with some parchment paper just to be safe.  








Put you bottom crust over the pecan mixture.  Mix remaining ingredients together and add to pie.  Cover with top crust.  Cook for 45 minutes in a 375 degree oven.  

 




 When done, let sit for 5 minutes then turn upside down and serve.






This pie came out great!  Looked good, tasted better, the whipped cream was awesome.  I added some pecan halves to the sides to decorate.  
 

I came in second.  Curse you Missmollys!!  Your peach ginger pie was the official winner of the July 4th contest.  However, I did get a first place ribbon from M (5 yo) who said my pie was the best. 




I got 1st place AND 2nd place

So, there!!

Truth be told, this pie is best right out of the oven.  Try it, you'll love it.

1 comment:

  1. It was EXTREMELY delicious, especially with the cinnamon whipped cream... it was what I would've voted for if Molly hadn't brought the scrumptious peach concoction.

    ReplyDelete