Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Fabulous Fisher Fourth of July Peach with Ginger Pie



This pie is my mother's recipe with a couple changes. She's the Pie Lady at the Minnetrista Farmers' Market, so I feel that I did start out with an unfair advantage, when it came to the pie contest. I just got lucky in the mom department!
The crust:
1/3 c. Crisco
1 c. flour
a pinch of salt
3-4 T cold water
The filling:
4-8 peaches
3/4 c. sugar
3 T. cornstarch
The topping:
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
sugar to taste
crystallized ginger
Instructions:
  1. Use a fork to incorporate the Crisco into the salt and flour. Add water little by little until the crust makes a ball.
  2. Roll out pie crust and place in pie pan. Make holes for the steam to escape by puncturing the bottom of the crust with a fork.
  3. Bake the crust in a 350-degree oven for 15-17 minutes. Let cool.
  4. While the crust is baking, peel all of the peaches and remove their pits. You can do a quick blanching to get the skin off, or just peel them with a paring knife.
  5. Slice half of the peaches; puree the other half of the peaches into the blender or mash them with a fork.
  6. Whisk together the sugar and cornstarch in a microwaveable bowl. Add the peach puree to this mixture and stir.
  7. Microwave the peach mixture on high for around 2 minutes. Stir and then microwave for 1 minute more, until the glaze is thickened. Let the glaze cool.
  8. Arrange sliced peaches in baked pie crust and pour the glaze over the peaches.
  9. Whip the cream, adding the sugar to taste.
  10. Sprinkle with chopped crystallized ginger!

2 comments:

  1. Hurray! The recipe for the pie that still haunts my dreams! It's lovely, Molly, and it tasted like summer in the best possible way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say about the pie that beat me out of first place? I wonder if my sour grapes would make a good pie? I do love some peach pie though.

    ReplyDelete