Sunday, May 3, 2009

Candy Coated Festivus Poles – Sara – April 09

I don’t know about you – but at the Howard-Young household ‘Seinfeld’ is a religion. The High Holy Day is of course, “Festivus”. What better snack to munch on as your air your grievances or watch on as your dearest family members compete in the feats of strength than candy covered pretzels dyed grey with silver dust brushed on them to make them resemble a plain aluminum pole – nothing too distracting about that!

Ingredients:
Mini Pretzel Rods
Candy Mints from the Marsh Produce Dept.
Black (and possibly blue) Food Coloring
Silver dusting powder (found at the Hobby Lobby by the fondant stuff)


I melted the mints in a double boiler on medium. I then added just a toothpick tip of black food coloring. I did that 3 times and then needed to correct it with blue. It still ended up kinda purple. (However, I have subsequently learned through trial and error that if you need to get a good gray, use a yellow/butter based icing or whatever, it works really, really well.)

I dipped the pretzels in the melted candies and laid them on a tray for cooling. Put them in the fridge for about an hour.

After they cooled I brushed them with the silver dusting powder.


And voila! Festivus Aluminum Poles! Fun for the whole family. And they were pretty tasty too!


RIP Jackie Jormp Jomp and Sugar cookie “Cross”. I ask you, what do you see in the toast?


6 comments:

  1. Hmm...I think I see a young bearded man with a Marlo Thomas haircut... "That Guy"? He's looking flirtily over his shoulder. And I like the festivus pole idea... very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These Festivus pretzels are making me thirsty!!

    What I really want to know is what does that "Cross" Cookie look like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this recipe. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund.

    I see "Rhoda"-era Valerie Harper on the toast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i must have silver dusting powder!!! that's awesome!!! btw. i think i see rock goddess, janis joplin in the toast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple and elegant.

    Personally, I see a young George Harrison in the toast, circa this period: http://tinyurl.com/ddcob6

    I find this plausible because most people don't know his song "Here Comes The Sun" was written about his excitement for the morning sun, which signified the time for his morning toast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second Boley's George Harrison sighting... George with a Marlo Thomas haircut...

    ReplyDelete