Sunday, May 3, 2009

Stigmata Frittata - April 2009

I had this idea (Stigmata Frittata) ever since the April challenge was announced, but there were a few things staying my hand - (1) are stigmata really something you want to incorporate into a food item, (2) my last attempt at a frittata was less than delicious, and (3) Stef was out of town, so I had very little extra time to devote to prepping a new recipe. BUT - the extension of the deadline, the return of my hubby from the tropics, and a revived boldness resulted in the following recipe - enjoy!

Ingredients:
6 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
3/4 c shredded cheddar cheese
6 small potatoes (or 3 medium),
chopped in bite-sized pieces
3 sweet red peppers (or 1 red bell),
sliced
1/2 small onion, finely diced
~ 4 oz (raw) organic baby spinach

1 Tbs olive oil
1-2 tsp Tony Chacherie's


I use Tony's instead of salt and pepper, gives it a bit more flavor.

Preheat the oven to 375 deg.


Peel (optional) and dice the potatoes, and boil for 5 minutes.
While the potatoes are boiling, steam the spinach. Drain both well, then
chop the spinach. Slice the red peppers in long strips (for stigmata-makin'). Experiment with cross patterns...In a cast iron skillet, heat 1 Tbs olive oil, and saute the onion till softened. Add most of the sliced peppers (reserve a few slices for your stigmata to add later) and the boiled potatoes. Cook for about 3 minutes. Season with Tony's (or salt and pepper). Disperse chopped spinach evenly (do not mix further).

Whisk eggs, milk and some seasoning
Then pour the egg mixture over the
prepared veggies, top with cheese.Carefully place your 3 stigmati (plural?) and put skillet into the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Wait, anxiously...Then realize, this is taking too long for the little one to wait for breakfast
(on a Sunday morning - that's pretty important for the proper making of Stigmata Frittata), and feed him oatmeal - with the hopes that the frittata will be so appealing, he'll eat it anyway.

Peek in the oven:




When the timer dings, remove the VERY hot pan from the oven and let the frittata cool for ~5 minutes. The stigmata are still there, though the egg has cooked around them - maybe making it look a little more authentic?

Mmmmmmm, stigmata.


After it cools, carefully dislodge the frittata from the sides of the pan, and using a spatula, place it on a serving plate. Slice and enjoy...

So. The real questions are:
1...did we get struck down by lightening as we ate our Sunday morning Stigmata Frittata?
and 2...was it tasty, or a burnt, hard icky failure like my last frittata?

When I thought it was cool, I cut a piece for Sedge and put it on his plate...he eagerly reached for it, but then: It was Hot!

So, not lightening, but it was pretty warm, even 10 minutes out of the oven!!
Not to be dissuaded, I blew on a piece and tried to give Sedge one more taste:


mmmm, yummy Stigmata Frittata!










Stef and I both really liked it:




So much so, that I invited our neighbors
to help us eat the rest, as I am not a fan of cold eggs.So, the answer to the second question, is: tasty, Yay! It was very fluffy and delicious, much lighter and fluffier than my last frittata attempt, and I think the whisked milk and only cooking it in the oven (not the stove top) really did the trick.





So, here's to Sunday morning breakfast and a Stigmata Frittata.

7 comments:

  1. I love a good rhyme incorporated into my food! And, that looks especially delicious. I think this is one I need to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks YUMMMMMM!!! Sacrilicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've been trying to figure out how to make a frittata for a while now but have always failed. I couldn't figure out how to flip it to cook it on both sides. It never occurred to me to put it in the oven! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy - happy to oblige! I think the only reason you'd want to try to make a frittata by flipping is if you don't have an oven-proof skillet. The other recipe I tried was to cook it mostly on the stove top (lifting the bottom so that the loose egg can run under and cook) then putting it in the oven to finish off- but that resulted in a very weird texture and a burnt frittata. The method I used here was really easy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds delicious. And the only person you seem to have offended is Sedge. You really shouldn't keep him waiting to eat his blasphemous breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. who knew stigmata could look so good!?! very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really good, Mollie. I'm not a big fan of eggs, and I would still eat this. The presentation is really nice.

    ReplyDelete