Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Chocolate Pecan Pie-- Side Dishes-- November 2009

Years ago, I was walking down the midway at the Indiana State Fair, and I noticed there was a booth giving away books. I am never one to pass up a free book, so I snagged one. It was a cookbook, published by the Junior League of Mobile, Alabama. Why was there a booth at the INDIANA State Fair giving away Junior League cookbooks from ALABAMA? I dunno. But I tucked it away with my other cookbooks until I needed to make dessert for some occasion. I figured that if anyone knows dessert, it's ladies from the Junior League in Mobile, Alabama. And I was right. I found a recipe that meets my requisites-- it's easy and looks more impressive than it actually is. And, of course, I cheat. I use ready-made pie crusts, and I'm not ashamed. They're fantastic, and I am often complimented on the flakiness of my pie crust. Anyway. Here's the recipe, and the assembled ingredients:



The recipe:

1 unbaked pie shell
2 Tbsp butter
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 C dark Karo syrup
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 C sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 C pecans

First, I melt the butter and the chocolate together. One could probably use the microwave for this, but I like to do it on the stovetop, so I can control the speed of the melting process.

Then, as the chocolate melts, I lightly beat the eggs in a separate bowl, and then add the karo syrup, sugar, salt, and vanilla.



Next, add the melted chocolate to the mixture, and then add the pecans.



Now, finally, pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell (aka, the pie shell you pressed lovingly into the pie pan), and then bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.



I forgot to take a picture of the pie fresh from the oven, 'cause it was 11pm the night before Thanksgiving and I was wore out. So. I took a picture of the remnants.

It was goooooooood.

1 comment: